Saturday, October 11, 2008

Things to Be Thankful For

So here I am in China on Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend. I mention to one of my friends here that I am a little homesick, what with me missing the October weather and the family gatherings. One thing led to another, and we decided to have an impromptu Thanksgiving dinner. While I was the only Canadian there, it was still a great night, and made any homesickness I had vanish. Especially when the attempted singing of "Oh, Canada" ended up sounding more like "Oh Christmas Tree".

It made me realize that there are all sorts of things to be thankful for, and thus this blog was born.

(Note: These are put in the order that my scatterbrained mind decided to put them in)

Impromptu Dinners: I mean, seriously, that is great to have a dinner for me since I was feeling homesick. Best part, it was all vegan...

Canadian Banks: Canadian banks aren't collapsing or needing to be bailed out...just yet...

John McCain Seeing the Light: Check out this video clip of a McCain rally held the other day....



Did you notice McCain's reactions? Those weren't fake. He knows full well that he has helped create such a culture of fear surrounding Obama and his "otherness", and you can almost see the guilt build into him. Now if only Palin can have a similar epiphany.

October Sports: This is pretty much the best time to be a North-American sports fan. The NHL Season is kicking off, the NFL Season is starting to get interesting, MLB Playoffs are raging, and the NBA is just around the corner. Seriously, how great is that?

Palin Busted: In another great victory for the Obama camp, it was revealed the other day that Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power in dismissing her former brother-in-law as a State Trooper in Alaska. While she claims that it was a "partisan witchhunt" the committee was bipartisan, with 10 Republican members, compared to its 4 Demoncratic members. Doesn't sound to partisan to me.

The Arcade Fire: Sure they've been quiet of late, but they just make my soul happy, especially this one:




Centennial Season: It's the Montreal Canadiens 100th Season, and I'll be damned if they don't have a good chance to bring the Cup back home. Even if they don't do it, there is still optimism in the air for a Canadian NHL team once more.

Dark Knight Sequel: Damn right, there are a ton of rumours that we will get a third installment in the awesome new Batman series. There are also a ton of stories that it could feature Johnny Depp as The Ridler, Philip Seymor Hoffman as the Penguin, or Angelina Jolie as Catwoman. Now those are mostly all BS I'm sure, but one fact remains: whenever it comes out, it will be awesome.

No Majority: That's right, just as I predicted a zillion times already here, we are going to end up with another Conservative Minority in Canada. The more things change...

Facebook is Working: Navigating the Information Superhighway in this country can be quite the challenge somedays, given the Great Firewall of China. However, I am really thankful that Facebook is working just fine, even though it had a bit of a rough go when I first got here.

Adventures Ahead: I'm living on the other side of the planet and have some pretty big plans ahead of me, good stuff all around.

Until next time,

G

No comments: