Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Glen and Troy Playoff Predictacular Round 1

Alrightie hey everyone, the playoffs start tonight and I for one am incredibly excited about it, but there is one thing that kind of sucks about it right now...I'm half way around the world. But have no fear, I shall present you my thoughts on the first round along with my whacky side-kick coming at you from a tropical paradise. We'll clearly be pros at this one...


EASTERN CONFERENCE

Glen says:
First off, may I remind you all just who called the final three spots in that intense Eastern Conference dogfight? Yeah I'm awesome...although I'm really sad that Montreal didn't make it to the big dance, especially since I had them pegged for the conference final at the middle of the season.

Troy says:
Oh how sweet it is. My team is eliminated by Toronto, and then the next night Toronto is eliminated by, of all teams, the New York Islanders. Gotta love it.


1 Buf vs 8 NYI

Glen says:
Well I have been calling the Sabres as cup champions since the start of the season and I see no reason to go back now. I'll give the Islanders credit to sneak one win out. Sabres in 5.

Troy says:
This is a no brainer. If New York wins any games is will be because of Ryan Smyth and no other reason. Buffalo in 4.

2 NJ vs 7 TB

Glen says:
I'm kind of torn, I like the way that Tampa has been playing and when their big four are hot they are one of the best teams in the league, but they are facing the best goalie in the league and one of the best ever. Plus betting against Jersey in the playoffs is just plain stupid, should be a good series. Jersey in 7.

Troy says:
I don't see NJ having much of a problem with TB. Check out this stat, NJ is one of the most defensive teams in the league, which arguably the best goalie in the league and guess how many games Tampa won this year when they scored fewer than 3 goals. Give up?? ZERO!! NJ in 5.

3. Atl vs 6 NYR

Glen says:

I'm really interested in seeing how the Thrashers will do in their first playoff appearance. I have criticized them heavily for the Tkachuck trade and I really wonder if Kovalchuck has the kind of heart needed to play in the spring. Also I think that Jagr's contract is tied to the Rangers winning a playoff series or two. I'm going to go for the upset. Rangers in 7.

Troy says:
This should be a relatively tight series but in the end I think the youth and energy of Atl will help them over the hump. Atlanta in 7.

4. Ott vs 5 Pitt
Glen says:
As a Senators fan I don't like the looks of this series, but as a hockey fan I think that it will be amazing. I think that Crosby and co. could not have matched up against a better team for their playoff debut. Sorry Ottawa, but you just can't compete. Penguins in 5.

Troy says:
This should easily be the best series of the first round. It pains me to say this but I don't see Ottawa pulling this one out. I think Crosby is going to steal the show. Pittsburgh in 6.

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Glen says:
Well the race to the finish was not nearly so tight as it was out east, but make no mistake about it, these 8 teams are really, really good, I think that anyone of them could stand a chance of walking out of the East with relative ease. It sucks for the fans of all of these teams that half of them won't be playing in a few weeks, but it will will make for an amazing first round.

Troy says:
Nothing because he's a stupid head whose opinions don't matter.

1 Det vs 8 Cgy

Glen says:
I think that we all learned last year that Detroit is overrated and benefits from having the easiest schedule in the league. Calgary on the other hand has one of the toughest schedules out there. Plus we need at least one lower seed Alberta team pulling out a first round shock or it just wouldn't be April now would it? Calgary in 6.

Troy says:
Two seasons ago Calgary beat Detroit in the first round in 6. Last season Edmonton beat Detroit in the first round in 6. So can it happen again this year? I'm hoping so. Kipper steals the series. Calgary in 6.

2. Ana vs 7 Min

Glen says:
Little known fact: Since they changed the playoff format in 1994 to its current state there has always been at least one seventh seed upset a second seed. I really don't see that happening this year. Anaheim in 5.

Troy says:
This should be another good series but I think Anaheim will be much too much for Minny to handle. Anaheim in 6.

3. Van vs 6 Dal

Glen says:
I spent most of the season doubting the Canucks, well they have made a believer out of me. Also, Turco is one of the worst playoff goalies out there. They couldn't have lucked out more than that. Vancouver in 5.

Troy says:
I picked Vancouver to be strong right from the start because of only one thing, Luongo and I'm not giving up on him yet. Vancouver in 7.

4 Nash vs 5 SJ.

Glen says:
That brings us to the only rematch from last years playoffs. Last year the Sharks spanked the Predators in the first round. The Preds have gotten better over the year with some big additions, but so have the Sharks. Last year Nashville won a game over San Jose, this year I'll give them a second one. San Jose in 6.

Troy says:
This should be sweet. But in this case I'm picking experience over youthful exuberance (excluding Forsberg cuz he's like 70) so I'm picking SJ to take this one. SJ in 7.

Well that concludes our picks for the first round, I am standing by my final of Buffalo over San Jose and Troy has changed his mind yet again to Buffalo over Anaheim.

I hope you enjoy the playoffs, be sure to watch a game or two for me!!!

Until next time,

G

No comments: