Thursday, May 31, 2007

Yet Another Reason I'm a Vegan....

Hey there, I found this interesting little story about the country I was just in that I thought I would share.

Apparently the Chinese Government wants to end a 14 year ban on Tiger Farming. Various parts of the Tiger are used in traditional Chinese medicines. For example, if the bones are ground up sufficiently and drank in a tea they can offer a huge boost in energy. Also, the penis is said to have aphrodisiac properties. Of course, there is a huge market for the fur as well.

And of course, we all know the power of the Eye of the Tiger.




I have been looking for an excuse to include that one in here for a while...

All kidding aside, I find this absolutely repulsive.

One of China's main arguments is that it would be easier to keep this endangered species alive in farms than trying to protect them in the wild. So logically, if we just farm them for all that they are worth and leave none in the wild, then we don't have to worry about the environmental consequences of our actions.

If this works, how far away will we be from eating California condor eggs or black rhino steaks?

We really don't have the right to dictate how another species should get to live, and it is reprehensible to think that a living, feeling, intelligent creature's life should be at the whim of our traditions, fashion, or any other superficial whims.

I don't have a ton of new stuff to add, you all know exactly how I feel on the issue. But I do have one question to ask, to anyone out there who finds the thought of farming tigers to be disgusting, cruel and unnecessary.

Why is it ok to do it to a cow, chicken or pig?

Until next time,

G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Catching up on some Glenergy. Am I the only one who comments on you blogs?

I was reading your rant, and thinking about the same thing about chickens, pigs, cows, except from the exact opposite end: Why should tigers get the special treatment? It's not like Canada has cows running free in the wilderness anymore, but nobody's putting on "Run, Bessy, run!" protests. I can't say I support reduced protection for wild tigers, but augmenting that with tiger farms sounds like a lucrative venture for some Chinese farmers. If killing Bessy doesn't make you queasy, why not a new tigerskin?