Sunday, February 24, 2008

Shades of Wrestlemania -- 5 Weeks in Advance

A few weeks and months ago I posted my thoughts and projections on the card for Wrestlemania XXIV, and as you can see from this title, it is only a few short weeks away now. A few matches have been announced, but there is still plenty of room left on the card. Today, and hopefully a few more times, I am going to try and review the current matches, and make my best predictions (i.e. wild guesses) at the remaining.

Already Announced

WWE Title Match:
Randy Orton (c) vs. John Cena vs. Triple H

What I said in October: Randy Orton (c) vs. Triple H... "The WWE had wanted this to be their big Wrestlemania Match 3 years ago, and you know that they want it to happen again."

What I said a few weeks ago: John Cena (c) vs. Triple H..."I wouldn't be the slightest bit shocked to see Triple H win the Chamber match and Cena walk away with the gold. "

What I'm saying now: Looks like I had the three main actors right, I guess I just never thought that they were going to throw the three of them together at once. It seems that we will have another Triple Threat Title Match come Wrestelmania XXVI, since they had one at XX and XXII. I have a feeling that the WWE wants to have another great Triple Threat Main Event to hopefully make people forget about the fantastic one at XX, since it was won by you know who. Either way, I think that this is going to be a great match, and I'm going to go for a Triple H victory.

World Title Match: Edge (c) vs. The Undertaker

What I said in Ovtober: Edge (c) vs. The Undertaker..."When it comes to Mania matches, they usually come in two varieties, fresh, exciting “Dream Matches” and age old “Grudge Matches”. This one is oddly a bit of both."

What I said a few weeks ago:
Edge (c) vs. The Undertaker..."I think that this one has been penciled in since May or so"

What I'm saying now: NOT MUCH!!!! I think that this will be a Wrestlemania Title Match for the ages, hopefully they give them enough time to work their magic.

Money in the Bank Match: Jeff Hardy vs. Ken Kennedy vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. 5 other Superstars

What I said in October: Jeff Hardy vs. CM Punk vs. Umaga vs. Kane vs. Santino Marella vs. Finlay vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Carlito..."Of the potentials I have listed, I think that Punk, Hardy or Umaga would be the most intriguing winners."

What I said a few weeks ago: Jeff Hardy vs. Ken Kennedy vs. Umaga vs. John Morrison vs. The Miz vs. Kane vs. Chuck Palumbo vs. Jamie Noble...."I really hope that Hardy pulls this one out and ended up getting his title opportunity later on in the year."

What I'm saying now: First off, I think that the remaining five wrestlers will be: Kane, Umaga, Chris Jericho, Chuck Palumbo, and Batista. I know, Jericho in the match feels so wrong, but I suppose he is the man who "invented it" according to the WWE Canon. Batista feels even wronger, since the WWE has done a great job showcasing him in recent years, but I really can't think of a better place to fit him, unfortunately. As for the winner, I think that it should be Jeff Hardy, then in the shock of the night, have him cash in his title shot after the Main Event and win it then. I've been hoping that the WWE would do that ever since the MITB thing started, and Hardy would be the perfect choice with his crash and burn style.

Suspected Matches


Disclaimer: Theses matches are only born out of my twisted mind, and may or may not have a basis in reality.


Boxer vs. Wrestler -- Big Show w/ Shane McMahon vs. Floyd Mayweather w/Rey Misterio.

What I said a few week ago: The Great Khali vs. The Big Show... "When I read that The Big Show was resigned, I just knew that someone, somewhere in the WWE Office wants to do this match."

Well it hasn't been announced officially, but the WWE has a press conference coming up, Monday at 3pm, and I would be shocked if they don't announce this match. Apparently it was going to be a tag team match, but Misterio's bicep tear has changed the plans and they need to go with a one-on-one showdown. Thankfully the WWE did not listen to my idea, an untrained celebrity is far more interesting of an opponent for the Big Show than The Great Khali.

Career vs. Career -- Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels

What I said in October: ECW Title Match: John Morrison © vs. Ric Flair..."Flair winning the title could help it out, plus he would be the only wrestler in history to win the NWA, WCW, WWF, and ECW Titles" AND Shawn Michaels vs. Rey Mysterio..."If the WWE gives these two 20 minutes to flat out go, we should have Wrestlemania moments for years to come."

What I said a few weeks ago: Career Threatening Match: Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels..."...it could be a cool story to see if Shawn would try his hardest against Flair, and Flair constantly trying to get Shawn's best out of him."

What I'm saying now: This matches seems like it was destined to happen ever since they first announced their plans for Flair to go on his win or retire kick, and Shawn and Flair started having the occasional backstage segment together that teased some sort of a dissension between the two. Also, remember last week it was Shawn that announced that Flair was going to be joining the Hall of Fame. I'm not sure how they will do it, but I think that they will also end up putting Shawn's career on the line, otherwise he would just lie down for his good friend, Ric Flair. As much as I would rather have them put over some new talent, I think that Shawn will give Flair the best match on his way out, and all of the other young talent have beaten Flair over the past few years.

ECW Title Match - Extreme Rules: Chavo Guerrero (c) vs. CM Punk

What I said in October: I had Ric Flair vs. John Morrison for the ECW Title, I put Punk in the Money in the Bank match, and I didn't even think of putting Chavo anywhere. I already quoted myself for those two matches, so see above in case you've forgotten.

What I said a few weeks ago: Chavo Guerrero (c) vs. Rey Mysterio vs. CM Punk..."...perhaps we can even have Mysterio try to get revenge on Chavo, but end up costing Punk the title, setting up some hatred between those two. Either way, this match would be bad-ass good."

What I'm saying now: I really hope that this gets a spot on the card, as the ECW Title was just a prop in a RAW match last year. Both of these guys have had really solid years and should get featured on the card. I think to make things different, they will make it an Extreme Rules match, that is CM Punk's last chance at Chavo to add some drama.

No DQ Tag Match: Vince McMahon and JBL vs. Finlay and Hornswoggle

What I said in October:...not a damn thing about any of these guys! I had Finlay penciled in for the Money in the Bank Match, and I hadn't even considered any of the others!

What I said a few weeks ago: Chris Jericho vs. JBL Finlay, Hornswoggle and Mick Foley vs. Vince McMahon, Mark Henry and Big Daddy V..."This would be a fun bathroom break match" AND Bull Rope Match:..."There is still a ton of mileage left in this feud"

What I'm saying now: Looks like I was wrong about there being mileage in the Jericho-JBL feud, as Jericho got a clean pin on Bradshaw on RAW a few weeks ago and nothing has come of it since then. But who didn't get some sort of a perverse car-crash enjoyment out of JBL beating down Hornswoggle in the cage last week? I'm not really sure why they chose JBL as the one to help McMahon, but I'm sure it'll be explained somehow. This match has potential to be pretty horrible to be honest, but if they make it no DQ and add a bunch of interference and over-booking, and keep it short, then it could be pretty decent.

United States Title Match: MVP (c) vs. Matt Hardy

What I said in October: MVP © vs. Matt Hardy..."I think that if there is any current feud in the WWE that can be stretched out for another six months it is this one! I love the dynamic between these two, and feel that it deserves a huge blow-off match at the grandest stage of them all."

What I said a few weeks ago: "
This feud oddly benefited from Hardy's appendix bursting."

What I'm saying now: This match has to happen at Wrestlemania. I don't know how far along Matt is to returning, but to see him show up and absolutely level MVP to set up the title match that was supposed to happen at SummerSlam would be fantastic.

Women's Title Match: Beth Phoenix (c) vs. Candice Michelle

What I said in October: Beth Phoenix © vs. Kelly Kelly..."...there are rumours of an Extreme Expose edition of Playboy coming out in March. The WWE loves to reuse the idea of having the Playboy gal go for the Women’s Title..."

What I said a few weeks ago: Beth Phoenix (c) vs. Candice Michelle..."Candice should be ready to return soon, setting up this big rematch."

WWE Tag Title Match: John Morrison and The Miz (c) vs. Tommy Dreamer and Colin Delaney

What I said in October: Khali and Big Daddy V © vs. Harry Smith and Ted Dibiase Jr...." [Khali and Big Daddy V] could run rampant over the Tag Division for months before a new tag team “The Next Generation”, consisting of the sons of The British Bulldog and The Million Dollar Man, step up and challenge the dominant champs at the biggest show of the year. Come on, it practically writes itself!"

What I said a few weeks ago: Nothing! I put Morrison and the Miz in the Money in the Bank match, and didn't even mention Dreamer and Delaney, leaving the WWE Tag Titles off the show again.

What I'm saying now: This is a huge stretch I know, but this feud has been developing so well on ECW/Smackdown that they need to save the big showdown until the big show. Delaney has really been channellings the spirit of Mikey Whipwreck, as the "guy who gets the crap kicked out of him and gains a ton of sympathy", did you hear the cheer when Delaney landed a punch last week on ECW? Now can you imagine how huge it would be when he pins Morrison or The Miz to win the title? Come on that would be amazing!

That leaves it at 10 matches, if I were to add more, it would be something involving Santino Marella/Carlito/Maria in a Playboy promotion match, but I could see that just taking up a segment of some sort and having Santino get beaten up or humiliated by Maria and someone coming to her rescue (Cody Rhodes perhaps?).

Anywho, I expect a lot of these questions and conjectures to be addressed tonight, and in the coming weeks as we take another trip on this Road to Wrestlemania.

Until next time,

G

No comments: