Monday, March 31, 2008

Looking back at Wrestlemania XXIV


It's finally over, my nerdy Superbowl is in the books for one more year. It certainly was filled with some excellent moments from Flair's ovation, to a phenomenal Money in the Bank, to Orton shocking the world.

Battle Royal for #1 Contendership to the ECW Title

So I was running a little late, and I missed the Battle Royal. From all accounts though, I didn't miss much. When I was looking at my predictions I said that it all boiled down to either Tommy Dreamer or Kane to win. I guess I backed the wrong horse as Kane pulled this one out.

Glen's Prediction Record: 0-1

Belfast Brawl - Finlay vs. JBL

I thought that this was an interesting choice to open up the show, especially when they had the Money in the Bank match right afterwards. This match was pretty fun, especially when Finlay busted out a tope. The ending was pretty deflating, as JBL hit Finlay with a kendo stick, and then got a clean win (i.e. interference free). I thought that a Finlay victory was a sure thing here. I guess not...

Glen's Prediction Record: 0-2

Money in the Bank Ladder Match - Mr. Kennedy vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Carlito vs. MVP vs. Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison

I really didn't think that the WWE would put out both of their Hardcore style matches right next to another, it seemed counter productive. Card placements aside, this was a really, really great match. Every year I think that there is a different stand-out star, and this year it was definitely Morrison. He busted out some amazing moves, including his moonsault while holding the ladder, and I was especially impressed with the spot near the end where he was trying to climb a ladder that was being balanced by another ladder, it was just cool. Also, Shelton Benjamin should be dead, no questions asked. I went completely out on a limb and picked Matt Hardy running out and grabbing the brief case, and well I was half right, he ran out. He had the chance to grab it, I don't know why the fuck he didn't, it would have been so freakin' cool to match him do that. Ah well, I'm not going to complain one bit about Punk winning. I just hope that he doesn't fall victim to the Money in the Bank Curse, that has befallen every winner except Edge.

Glen's Prediction Record: 0-3

Battle of the Brands - Batista vs. Umaga

I had high hopes going into this match, as both guys have been putting on good shows on Pay-per-views over the last few months. Needless to say, I was sorely disappointed in the performances of these guys, as I really feel that they could have done better. That being said though, watching Batista fall backwards out of the Batista-bomb played into the psychology, even it probably wasn't intentional. I called a Batista win by DQ, or some other non-finish, since I would have taken the point if it was a double DQ, I guess I don't deserve the point here...

Glen's Prediction Record: 0-4

ECW Title Match - Chavo Guerrero (c) vs. Kane

This match took 10 seconds in total. It sucked. If I write anymore than this it will take you longer to read my thoughts than to watch it, and that's not fair what so ever.

Glen's Prediction Record: 1-4

Career Threatening Match - Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels

This match was simply spectacular and will be long remembered, no questions asked. No matter how old both men are, it is still special to see the two greatest of all time go at it on the big stage. Sure I *knew* that Flair was going to loose, but watching that match made me believe on more than one occasion, that maybe, just maybe, Flair would live to fight another day. The ending where Shawn looked Flair in the eyes and said "I'm sorry, I love you" before superkicking his career over was a great moment that should get its share of replays. The emotional ovation afterwards was fantastic. It's a strange feeling as a wrestling fan to know that I will never get to see the greatest ever wrestle again.

Glen's Prediction Record: 2-4

Bunnymania - Ashley and Maria vs. Melina and Beth Phoenix

This match was given the "death slot" on the card, as it had no hopes of following the raw emotion of the previous contest. This match really has little to say about it, other than I'm impressed that the ladies kept fighting after the lights went out, and that Santino Marella is amazing, plain and simple. The heels win, in a bit of a shocker.

Glen's Prediction Record: 2-5

WWE Title Match - Randy Orton (c) vs. Triple H vs. John Cena

I must say, the biggest surprise of the night was that this match did not go on last. The placement on the card really should have tipped me off that something fishy was going to go down. To be honest, I found this match kind of boring with a few highlights, namely: Cena's amazing entrance, Triple H busting out the crossface, and the faces taking turns bitching out Randy Orton. The ending really was a shock, as Triple H landed the Pedigree on Cena, went for the pin, only to get concussion-kicked by Orton, and then Orton pins Cena for three. I really didn't see that one coming at all.

Glen's Prediction Record: 2-6

The Biggest vs. The Best - Big Show vs. Floyd "Money" Mayweather

I legitimately thought that this match sucked, plain and simply. Big Show can put on good matches with the right opponents, and well an untrained wrestler is certainly not the right opponent. I'm glad that they made this an "anything goes" type match, as it really hid the flaws of both men. I did like the part when Mayweather's posse tried to run off saying "you can't do that", only to have the shit kicked out of all of them by the Big Show. I really didn't like the ending, as Show should not have been KO'd, even after chairs and brass knuckles, it really makes him less of a monster.

Glen's Prediction Record: 3-6

World Title Match - Edge (c) vs. The Undertaker

If this match had have not gone on last, I would have thought that maybe, just maybe, the streak would have been over. However, after so many heel wins (yeah I'm counting Mayweather as a heel) they had to give the closing win to The Dead Man. That being said though, Edge really had me believing near the end that he could get it done. I was impressed with how much offense Taker allowed Edge to have, as the Rated R Superstar really appeared to be dominant throughout the match. The highlight of the match for me was watching Taker chokeslam one of Edge's cronies onto the other (I can't tell the difference). I also really liked the finish as Taker countered a spear into a googoplata for the submission victory. Nice touch, as there has been a submission victory at every Wrestlemania since XX (after there not being one for 8 years prior). I would have loved to have seen Taker and Kane celebrate at the end of the show with their belts in a Guerrero-Benoit-esque moment, but I guess you can't have everything.

Glen's Prediction Record: 4-6

All in all, I would say that this was a good show, as it featured three excellent matches in the Money in the Bank, Flair-HBK, and Edge-Taker. The big problem though, is that the rest of the card pretty much sucked, and had a lot of curious booking choices as to the winners. As far as ranking this Wrestlemania with the others, it's a little early to say, but I would probably put it somewhere in the 11-15 range along with V, VII, 2000, and X8. I guess you'll have to tune back next year to see where it goes...

Until next time,

G

No comments: