Friday, March 28, 2008

Predicting the Mania


Today I present my (nearly) last blog post on the events slated for this coming Sunday, as I present my predicted results for the evening. Last year I finished an even 4-4 on the night, needless to say I hope to improve on these results.

I have decided that I am going to post the results in order that I think the matches should happen.

24 Man Battle Royal for a shot at the ECW Championship

411mania.com reports that the following competitors are appearing in the battle royal:

Big Daddy V, Brian Kendrick, Chuck Palumbo, WWE World Tag Team Champion Cody Rhodes, Deuce, Domino, Elijah Burke, Festus, Great Khali, WWE World Tag Team Champion Hardcore Holly, Jamie Noble, Jesse, Jim Duggan, Jimmy Wang Yang, Kane, Kofi Kingston, Lance Cade, Mark Henry, WWE Tag Team Champion Miz, Shannon Moore, Snitsky, Tommy Dreamer, Trevor Murdoch, and Val Venis

When it boils down to it, I think that the two favoured wrestlers to win the battle royal (which is shown early on wwe.com at 6:30 by the way) are Kane and Tommy Dreamer. The Big Red Machine will be appearing in his 11th consecutive Wrestlemania, one shy of Bret Hart's record, while Dreamer would only be appearing in his second event. I think that the WWE is going to go for the nostalgic feel good moment in order to appease former ECW fans.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Tommy Dreamer

Money in the Bank Ladder Match

Mr. Kennedy vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Carlito vs. MVP vs. Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk vs. John Morrison

This was originally announced as an 8 man ladder match (keeping with last years theme) however, Jeff Hardy was suspended, removed from the match and not replaced. Also the WWE supposedly had plans of having Matt Hardy return and challenge US Champion, MVP at Wrestlemania, however only MVP has been added to the match. I'm going to go out on a huge limb here, and say that before this match starts Teddy Long will announce a "surprise" 8th entrant who will go on to win the match.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Matt Hardy

Battle of the Brands - Umaga vs. Batista

This match has had virtually no build up, but I think that it's going to be a really good power match up. These two have never fought, and should provide an interesting dynamic against one another. I think that this match will have some sort of a screwy ending. Apparently the plan is to move Umaga to the blue brand and have this feud continue, and I bet that Regal and Vickie are going to place a bet on the match where the brand of the winning wrestler gets the contract of the losing wrestler.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Batista via DQ, or some other non-finish

Big Show vs. Floyd "Money" Mayweather

Now here's an interesting match. The WWE has been putting a lot of hype into this one, and I'm sure that the company will pull out all of the stop to hide the weaknesses of both men in the ring. I expect this to be some sort of a huge screwjob ending where a lot of people run around and get involved in the match. That being said, I don't think that a boxer with a perfect record is going to take a loss here, no matter how much money they're paying him.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Floyd "Money" Mayweather

Belfast Brawl - Finlay vs. JBL

Thank the lord neither Vince McMahon nor Hornswoggle are competing here! I fully expect these two men to go completely nuts on one another here, and one of them will more than likely end up legitimately injured. I wouldn't be surprised if either Vince or the former Little Bastard get physically involved. I just don't see this being one of those time where the bad guy wins.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Finlay

World Title Match - Edge (c) vs. The Undertaker

When I looked back at my review of last year, I noted that I correctly predicted this match occurring at the end of Wrestlemania 23, ain't I great? Every time I've predicted this card I've been sold on the fact that Taker is going to walk away with the big gold belt yet again, and I have no reason to change my mind.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: The Undertaker

ECW Title Match - Chavo Guerrero (c) vs. Battle Royal Winner

I'm putting this match here in order to "bring the crowd down" after Taker's big win, just like what happened with the New Breed vs. ECW Originals match from last year. I just don't see Chavo cutting it as champion.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Battle Royal Winner

Career Threating Match - Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair

This is one of the few times I will ever say this, but the WWE Title Match has no right going on last. These guys should close out the show, as I doubt anyone will be able to top the raw emotion generated from this match. This will be a classic, plain and simply, however, it ends this Sunday.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Shawn Michaels

Bunnymania - Ashley and Maria vs. Beth Phoenix and Maria

As usual they will put the women's match in the "death slot" on the card, as they need to give the fans a break after the epically long standing ovation they will put on. I'm sure that Santino will try to interfere only to have Snoop Dogg get in his way, leading to victory for the faces.

Glen's Prediction for Winner: Ashley and Maria

WWE Title Match - Randy Orton (c) vs. Triple H vs. John Cena

Even though I don't think that this match should close out the show, I still think that it will be a very good match. All three wrestlers really have been on their game, and to be honest this is a hard one to predict. No matter what happens I think that Orton is going to be losing the title here, but the real question is to who. I'm going to go with what should happen, no matter how much a growing part of me thinks that it won't.

Glen's Predition for Winner: John Cena


And that concludes the event, be sure to tune in on Sunday to see just how right I am!

Until next time,

G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think Mark Henry will win the Battle Royal. I think Mr. Kennedy will win the Money in the bank match. I think Batista will win clean or well, will get the win via pin somehow, no DQ. I agree, Floyd will win even though it is completely ridiculous. Finley gets the win via a weapon. Undertaker wins, to keep his record alive. Chavo gets the win, possibly vs Mark Henry :) or whoever else. Shawn Michaels wins this one as well. Flair returns via smackdown or something.....he'll will truly die in the ring one of these days. Who cares about the women's match....but yah, i agree, snoop aids in the victory for the good girls. HHH wins....takes over the company.......wears a pony tail.

:), i haven't watch wrestling other then a few minutes here and there for years :), lets see how awesome I am.