Monday, November 06, 2006

"And though the news was sad, I just had to laugh..."

Yesterday evening I was eating dinner at Pizza Hut with my buddy Josh, and the TV came on with breaking news. Saddam's trial was over and he was to be hung. I shook my head, 'they did it again', I thought. That's right, two days before the U.S. Midterm elections, there is some measure of 'success' in the Republican Party's greatest failure, the Iraq War and subsequent occupation.

A similar thing happened a mere three years ago. Let's flash back to December 2003, shall we? The Democratic Party was lining up its candidates for the 2004 Election. Such fine individuals as John Kerry, John Edwards, Al Sharpton, and of course Screamin' Howard Dean, were debating issues in preperation for the first primary in a mere months time. The focus of the country was on the Democratic Party, and the party's approval rating showed it. While the candidates were opponents with one another, their focus remained on ol' G-dub, with the top criticism being the War in Iraq. Then what should happen you ask? Well, the Republican Party gets sent a gift from the heavens in the form of a bearded, dishevelled captive. That's right, they captured Hussein and the attention went right back to the Republicans and how great their little war was all along. The worst part of all this, it worked.

So here we are yet again, they couldn't very well stretch the trial out until 2008, and the next stolen election, so this is the best that they can do. Finish the trial two days before Congress and some of the Senate get voted. Support for the Republican party has fallen drastically, so they realized that they needed work done in the number one swing state, Iraq.

Think that I'm a crazy, paranoid, cynic? You're probably right...but if Osama bin Laden, or some other high ranking Al-Qaeda members are captured or killed in the fall of 2008, then I'll be here to say I told you so.

Before I sign off, I would just like to point out that while most of the world is opposed to this sentence, there are two high profile figures who are expressing a huge amount of support. George W. Bush and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, that's right the Iranian President agrees with the Great Satan on one thing! I guess maybe, just maybe there is some hope that they can solve the nuclear issue without going to war.

If I were him, I wouldn't be agreeing, he should realize that he's next.

Until next time,

G

No comments: