Monday, February 26, 2007

Giving it up for Glent

Hey there Cyberspace, sorry again for the blatant lack of postings. I will once again lay the blame game on my father/step-mother for not having the webernets available at home. And I suppose the fact that my future career rests on the next two weeks or so of my life. Fun times.

This post is a wee bit delayed, but I just wanted to wish all of the Catholics out there a Happy Lent. For the past several years I have given up some of my biggest indulgences. Last year and in 2004 I gave up pop, not an easy thing to do for a Pepsi-addict like myself. In 2003, I gave up swearing, which went well despite everyone I knew at the time trying to make me swear.

This year though, I have decided to give up chips and fries, or chips and crisps for any of my Scottish friends out there. I have realized that I have gained a solid 15 pounds over the past year or so, and while I still feel that I am in an acceptable weight range, I really would like to get back down below 160, where I was for a fairly long time. I feel that doing this, combined with getting back outside to run will help me get back where I want to be.

I hear many of you saying "But Glen, your body is already perfectly sculpted, why not just relax for a bit?". That may be a great point, but I am a firm believer in self-improvement and the whole point of it is to find ways to be better than yourself. Last year, I was running regularly and eating relatively little in the junk food department. Now, I am a lazy ass student subsisting on junk. Therefore, I gain weight, big shock.

I have recently checked out a BMI Chart, and discovered that at 5'10" and 170 pounds I am at the very top end of "Normal" weight for my height, bordering on overweight. While last year at 155, I was right in the middle of the ideal, healthy weight for my height. Kind of a shock I know, the thought that I could actually be an overweight vegan.

So the moral of the story is that I want to get back to were I was and feel as healthy as I did before. Also, I love lent, since it is a wonderful opportunity to be stubborn. Something that I am clearly very good at doing. They say that you should stick to what you are good at now don't they?

Until next time,

G

No comments: