Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Single's Awareness Day!!!

Hey there blogosphere, I wanted to take the chance to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day. Now just yesterday I said that I would chime in with my thoughts on this day. So here goes it.

Now let me start this one with my thoughts from the start. I f'n love Valentine's Day. Seriously, I think it's one of the greatest days ever. I know so many people think that it is just a day invented by Hallmark and florists as a way to punish men, but you know what, those people are just lazy and jaded.

Before anyone points me to this post of mine back in December concerning a certain other forced commercial holiday, give me a chance to defend myself. For Christmas there is a ton of pressure towards spending money and getting gifts for not only for that special someone, but also your parents, siblings, friends, aunts, uncles, pets, grand-parents, and your step-versions of all of the above. Whereas Valentine's Day is much more focused. There really is only one person you need to worry about. If there are more people, then well you probably have more reasons to get stressed out than just a holiday. And with V-Day, there is always the option for fun homemade gifts, throwing it in the face of our consumer driven economy. How can you not love romance and sticking it to THE MAN?

Oh and the other argument against Valentine's Day that I love is the "Why do you need a special day to be romantic, why can't you be romantic all year round?". Well good point, I am a firm believer that you do not need a special day to be romantic, and of course spontaneous romance beats anything contrived. But what I am saying, is that it is great to have a day set aside with an excuse for romance. That's right Valentine's Day is a wonderful excuse to do what you should be doing all the time. And Lord knows I love my excuses!!!

Can't convince you? Well not a huge surprise, debating Valentine's Day is like debating religion, you rarely get a chance to change people's minds. If you feel bitter, here is a great video that made it's rounds on the webernets a few years ago (in the simpler time before YouTube) but here she be again. Enjoy!!!!




Whether you are spending today with that special someone, wishing you could be spending it with that special someone, mourning the loss of that special someone, or treating today like just another day, I hope that it finds you well.

Until next time,

G

No comments: