Thursday, February 15, 2007

Happy Birthday To an Old Friend

Third blog post of the day? I really am a machine (That's what she said!!).

I can't believe that I almost forgot about this one, today is a very special day for a very good friend of mine, and I'm sure many of you too.

So if you can join me in wishing a happy birthday to...


The Canadian Flag!!! That's right, this friend of ours is 42 years old today!!!!!

The case of the Flag is an interesting one, until 1965 we had this lovely flag...


Of course featuring the Union Flag (NOT the Union Jack, it is only the Union Jack when it is flown on a ship...) plus a coat of arms tying in our nations English, Scottish, Irish and French roots.

They conducted an extensive survey in the 1950's and the vast majority of people polled wanted a new, unique flag. Of course there was a strong opposition especially from the military who fought for the above flag (Called the Red Ensign) and felt a strong attachment to it.

But in the end, Lester Pearson decided to go ahead and look for a new flag. At first he thought he wanted this one:



Could you imagine Paul Henderson or Wayne Gretzky wearing that one?

Anyway I had best stop writting, I think that I am posting faster than most people can read it. I guess I need to slow down a bit (That's what she said!!!).

Until next time,

G

No comments: