Friday, March 09, 2007

8 Weeks Until Adulthood..

I am growing up far faster than I am ready to.

I just finished off my placement yesterday, which went really quite well, and now I am going to enjoy a week of hibernation. After that I have three weeks left at Nipissing and then I'm off to go on placement in China for 4 weeks (plus staying for another 4 just for fun), and then well...I'm all done. After my last day teaching in China I have officially completed my Bachelor of Education requirements and then...well, there it is, real life staring me in the face.

I really have no idea what to do next year. I have looked into some International Schools and some LD Schools in the Toronto area. I really have no idea as to where my life will lead me, not much new on that front I suppose.

It scares me to think that I could be starting my career next year. For the past few years I have been saying "I want to be a teacher when I grow up", and this year I have been saying "I'm trying to be a teacher when I grow up". But what will I see in 8 weeks when I officially am a teacher? "I'm a teacher now that I'm grown up" sounds far too scary for me.

I guess I am just going through the harsh reality that everyone in their mid-twenties has faced over the ages. I have realized that I am not a kid any more. When I first started teaching I would be confused whenever students called me Mr., but now, I've gotten used to it. Man, that makes me feel old. Am I old enough to be a Mr.? Have I actually done enough with my life to earn that amount of respect? I think no, but all of my students and colleagues seem to think yes.

Is it time for me to stop going to camp in the summer? Is it time that I stop saying 'psghetti? Is it time that I move past my Superman pillow case? Should I not be counting down the days until Spiderman 3? Should I not quote The Black Eyed Peas in a Data Management lesson?

Most adults wouldn't be doing any of those things, maybe some day I'll stop going to camp and start saying spaghetti. Just don't count on me changing my pillow case anytime soon.

Until next time,

G

No comments: