Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Glen and Troy's Quarterly Predictacular Vol. 3

Well this one certainly is a long time coming. I know, I know I promised this one to be up "soon" a couple of weeks ago, but as usual I am not the reliable sort. However, this time I have an excuse, I sent this off to Troy a week or two ago and only just got it back from him today. I would be angry at him, but he's back in St. Marteen right now and I still want to be able to go and visit him someday, so I had best stay nice.

Anyway, I assume that you have read the first two versions of this little ditty, no introductions are needed.

***********************************************************


WESTERN CONFERENCE

Glen says:


I must say, I am rather disappointed in the West this year, does anyone else remember the tight race between Vancouver and Edmonton last year for that last spot? As I have mentioned a solid 47 or so times on this blog, at the deadline, the Oilers have thrown in the towel, but so have St. Louis, Los Angeles and Phoenix. Chicago and Columbus never had much in the way of towels to begin with and Colorado runs into bad luck by living in the Northwest. This really makes the playoff race rather anti-climactic.

The Oilers trading away Smyth has made me do something that I hate doing, admitting that I was wrong. I have said all season that the Canucks where not quite good enough to make the playoffs, but now I have to admit that they will and more than likely take their division. The other two divisions will be taken by the stalwart division leaders, Anaheim and Nashville. Detroit, Dallas, and San Jose will get punished for playing in the Western Conference by not taking their division and fighting it out for that last home spot, which I see Detroit taking. Minnesota and Calgary will jockey for 7th and 8th.

Biggest Surprise: St. Louis (seriously, I thought that they were a lock for 15th, but have been playing really well of late!!!)
Biggest Disappointment: Edmonton (I think that I've said enough about this one)


Troy Says:

Alright, in things are a little more open. There is a tight battle between Detroit and Nashville for first in the Central but this time I think youth and exuberance will beat out age and treachery and Nashville should take this division and the number one seed in the conference. As far as the Pacific goes I really thought this would be a tighter race but it looks as though Anaheim should comfortably take this one. The closest race is in the Northwest and of course this surprises exactly no one. I'm going to go off the board a little and take Calgary to win this one. Vancouver has Luongo but I think over all Calgary has the stones to step up and take the division. Detroit will round out the top 4 followed by San Jose, Vancouver, Dallas, and finally Minnesota. The last 4 spots are going to be tight so it's a bit of a crap shoot.

Biggest Surprise: I'd say Vancouver but didn't some really good looking Caribbean pilot call them to be good before the season? Biggest surprise for me is Nashville. I knew they would be a good team but I wasn't sure they'd be able to knock Detroit off their pedestal.
Biggest Dissapointment: Is there any doubt? It kills me to say it but it's Edmonton. They broke my heart. Ryan Smyth was one of the favourite players. If they resign him in the off season then I will consider forgiving them in some far off future I can't yet imagine (Although I hate the idea of renting a player and then signing him again in the off season, seems a little dirty, but I will allow it for Edmonton). I can't honestly believe they couldn't resign him). Props to New York for getting him (Kills me to say that too)

PROJECTED STANDINGS

Glen Says:

1. Nashville
2. Anaheim
3. Vancouver
4. Detroit
5. Dallas
6. San Jose
7. Calgary
8. Minnesota
9. Colorado
10. Edmonton
11. St. Louis
12. Chicago
13. Phoenix
14. Columbus
15. Los Angeles

Troy Says:

1. Nashville
2. Anaheim
3. Calgary
4. Detroit
5. San Jose
6. Vancouver
7. Dallas
8. Minnesota.
9.Colorado
10. Edmonton
11. St. Louis
12. Columbus
13. Chicago
14. Phoenix
15. Los Angeles

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Glen Says:

(Editor's Note: I am changing my predictions up a bit since I sent it off to Troy, the delay between me sending this off and the complete chaos that is the Eastern Conference playoff race makes the spots 7-10 more unpredictable than Stephen Harper's opinion on Global Warming)


Somehow, the East is more exciting going down the stretch. There has been some serious movement since the last Predictactular. It has been done by three teams in particular, the New York Islanders, the Tampa Bay Lightning and most of all, the Pittsburgh Penguins. Three teams that looked to be on the bubble earlier in the season are now sitting quite comfortably right now. Their collective tears have really hurt three Original Six teams, the New York Rangers, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens who are all in a fair bit of trouble right now.


As for the rest of the teams, I would be stupid to not take Buffalo and New Jersey to finish one and two respectively. I think that the role that Tampa is on gives them a leg up on Hotlanta for their division. Ottawa and the Penguins should dog it out for 4 and 5. As for the bottom three spots, this is where this conference gets interesting. Right now the Thrashers, the Islanders, the Hurricanes, the Canadiens, the Leafs, and the New York Rangers could finish anywhere between 6 th and 10th. Both the Thrashers and Islanders made solid trades to help their team out in the short term so I see them getting 6th and 7th respectively. That leaves four teams to fight for 8th. Since I am full of anti-Leaf bias, I see them finishing tenth, what a surprise. That leaves either the Canes or Habs to miss the playoffs. It has been 37 years since both the Canadiens and Maple Leafs have both missed the playoffs, and I hate to say it, but this but the streak may just snap this year. The New York Rangers have been playing quite well of late, and you can always count on Jagr to play well when his paycheck is dependent on his team making the playoffs. This means that the Carolina Hurricanes will be the first team in 11 years to win the Cup and then miss the playoffs. Also, since I don't think that the Oilers are going to make it, this could mark the first time ever that both Stanley Cup finalists will miss the playoffs. God bless the new NHL.

Biggest Surprise: New York Islanders (Apparently making your backup goalie your GM is not as stupid as it sounds)

Biggest Dissapointment: Montreal (They really should be higher up than they are right now, Huet or no Huet)

Troy Says:

I think everyone can agree the Buffalo is the class of the East at this point, and for the whole season for that matter so it is basically written in stone that Buffalo will finish first in the Northeast and first in the league. New Jersey will be second as I don't see Tampa Bay or Atlanta knocking them down. Tampa Bay has insidiously been getting better this season while Atlanta is slowly starting to drop off so I'm picking Tampa to take the division. The final home ice spot in the East will go to Ottawa. This is a strong team and they will keep fourth in their grasp. Pittsburgh will be next in 5th place. Keep this in mind, this team's average age is pre-natal, this team is just going to keep getting better and better. Sixth place will fall to Atlanta and I believe Carolina and Montreal will oust the Islanders from the playoffs. Montreal is a decent team, they were over-achieving early in the season and under-achieving in the last few weeks but this team's true identity lies somewhere in the middle. They will make the playoffs.

Biggest Surprise: I would have to say Tampa is my biggest surprise. I was not expecting them to be near the playoffs but they've slowly gotten better and with Lecavalier, Richards and St. Louis how can you not get better.
Biggest Disappointment: This title still belongs to Philly. They simply need to get with the times and with so much young talent in the likes of Richards, Carter, Gagne and others, it's a shame to see this team play this badly.

PROJECTED STANDINGS

Glen Says:


1. Buffalo
2. New Jersey
3. Tampa Bay
4. Ottawa
5. Pittsburgh
6. Atlanta
7. New York Islanders
8. New York Rangers
9. Carolina
10. Toronto
11. Montreal
12. Boston
13. Florida
14. Washington
15. Philadelphia

Troy Says:


1. Buffalo
2. New Jersey
3. Tampa Bay
4. Ottawa
5. Pittsburgh
6. Atlanta
7. Carolina
8. Montreal
9. New York Islanders
10. Toronto
11. New York Rangers
12. Boston
13. Florida
14. Washington
15. Philadelphia.

PLAYOFFS

Glen Says:

While the end of the regular season should be a bit of bore out West, the first round of the playoffs looks downright scary. The way I have them seeded the first round would be Nashville-Minnesota, Anaheim-Calgary, Vancouver-San Jose and Detroit-Dallas. I would not be at all surprised if every single series goes at least 6 games. I'm sorry Canucks Fans, here I go again, but I think that the Western Final will come down to Anaheim and San Jose, which I see the Sharks winning in 7. I know, I sound like a broken record on this one, but I'm cool with that.

Out East, I have the first round predicted to be Buffalo-NY Rangers, New Jersey-New York Islanders, Tampa Bay-Atlanta, and Ottawa-Pittsburgh. All of those series should be really solid as well. I hate to admit it, but I really don't see any Canadian teams making it past the first round, something that only happened once in 1996. I also think that one of the Islanders or the Thrashers could pull of a first round upset this year. I will keep with my trend of predicting Buffalo against a different team each time I do one of these Predictaculars. This time, I think that the lucky opponent will be the Pittsburgh Penguins. I think that this team is light years ahead of where it should be and I could really see them making a big run this year. Buffalo should take the Pens in a really good, high scoring 6 game series.

I have come so far, I see no reason to change. Buffalo and San Jose will meet in the finals, and it will mark the first time since 1996 (that's the third time that year has come up for me…maybe history is cyclical after all) that we will be guaranteed a first time Stanley Cup Champion, since neither team has ever won the cup. I once again see the Sabers as the ones to hoist the Cup in a 6 game series. Just to further put my neck on the line, I see Chris Drury winning the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP


Troy Says:

This is how my first round shapes up in the east. Buffalo vs Montreal, NJ vs Carolina, Tampa vs Atlanta, Ottawa vs Pittsburgh. I think the Buf vs Mon series would be sweet, but unfortunately short. NJ vs Car, and Tampa vs Atl should be close, probably 6, but I think Pittsburgh can take Ottawa and I see them taking the series in 7. How do you like that pick Glenny??

The East final will come down to Buffalo vs New Jersey and I think Buffalo will be tested but will come through in the end.

So this is how I see it happening in the West in the first round. Nashville vs Minnesota, Anaheim vs Dallas, Calgary vs Vancouver, Detroit vs San Jose. I think these would all be sweet series, highlighted of course by Calgary vs Vancouver which will all know will go down to hextuple overtime in game 7.

I see the West final coming down to Anaheim and Detroit but Detroit will not have an answer for Pronger and Neidermayer.

This gives us a Buffalo vs Anaheim final and I'm sticking with my "Buffalo never wins anything, case in point 4 Super Bowl losses in a row" argument. So I see the Cup going to Anaheim. Brian Burke is a genius.

As for Conn Smyth, Pronger all the way.

***********************************************************
Well, that wraps up this predictacular. Next up for this will be some intense playoff predictions, although I will be in China and Troy in St. Marteen when they start...ahh well, I'm sure we'll know what's going on.
Until next time,
G

No comments: