Friday, March 02, 2007

What a Great Friday

I have discovered that the two sweetest words to any teacher are “Snow Day”. As many of you know, Southern Ontario has been hit with a bunch of snow and freezing rain, which has lead to a series of bus cancellations and school closures. So instead of spending the day nurturing young minds, I get to spend it lounging around in my jammies and watching Sportscentre. Some days I absolutely love my life.

I was starting to feel a wee bit shack whacky earlier in the day, so I took my dog Lucy out for a walk around the neighbourhood and surrounding woods. I was amazed at what I saw.

The trees were beautifully covered with a thin sheet of ice, making them look like they were budding diamonds. It was one of those times that I wish that I had brought my camera along, so I could show people just how beautiful the winter can be sometimes. Even cooler than that was the fact that it has warmed up enough to make the ice start to melt. As a result, many of the trees were shedding their frozen layer and it seemed just like it was raining ice down upon me.

All last year I kept saying how much I missed Canadian winters, but all this year living in North Bay, I wondered why on earth I thought that. Today, I realized what it was. As I trekked through the forest among the icy autumn, I felt alone with my thoughts in a way that I haven’t felt in a long time. It was wonderful to breathe in the crisp cool air, trudge through the snow and ice, and to just be. That’s something that I just don’t think you can get in too many other places of the world.

To any other teachers, students, or people in limbo with me, I hope that you had a great Snow Day. I hope that you took the chance to catch up on some marking, lesson plans, homework, sleep, or communing with nature.

Until next time,

G

No comments: